Under the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education Dual Credit Initiative Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard will be recognised for credit towards Grade 12 after August 1, 2016. This program recognises the 100+ hours of education and training for Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard starting at Bronze Medallion. This recognises the work and dedication of those who strive to step onto the deck to protect the lives of others and the beginning of their aquatics career.
Every person who passes Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard any option (Pool, Waterpark, or Waterfront) in Saskatchewan after August 1st 2016 can be recognized for one credit towards satisfying their Grade 12 requirements. No forms to fill out and no plans to get approved prior to taking your National Lifeguard.
Anyone who is working towards their Grade 12 requirements in Saskatchewan is able to use this program including:
- High School students can earn credit towards graduation while working towards their first career.
- Those who are returning to complete their Grade 12 requirements can earn credit towards graduation and become certified to begin a new career.
- Those new to Canada are able to earn credit towards Grade 12.
Steps to Receiving Credit for Lifeguard 30L
- Ensure you have all of the prerequisites for Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard (15 years of age, Lifesaving Society Bronze Cross, and Standard First Aid/CPR-C).
- Enroll and take Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard (Pool, Waterpark, or Waterfront).
- Pass National Lifeguard.
- Take your certification card to your school and request credit for Lifeguard 30L.
- Celebrate that you are one credit closer to graduating.
Q: I am already working on my Special Credit Workbook, can I continue?
A: No the special credit workbook will no longer recognized after July 31, 2016. But simply taking your National Lifeguard after August 1st 2016 will give you a credit.
Q: I have already taken my National Lifeguard can I still receive credit?
A: No only those examined on or after August 1, 2016 will receive credit. But if you take the Waterpark or Waterfront Option National Lifeguard after August 1st you can receive credit for them and expand your skills.
Q: If I take my National Lifeguard Pool, Waterpark, and Waterfront can I receive three credits?
A: You may only receive credit for one National Lifeguard course.
Q: I just moved here from another Province or Territory, do I have to start at Bronze Medallion again?
A: You only need to take your Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard in Saskatchewan, Bronze Medallion and Bronze Cross are national programs and are recognized as equal.
Q: So if I understand this correctly, if I pass my National Lifeguard in Saskatchewan after August 1st, 2016 all I need to do is take my certification card to my school and I get a credit towards graduation. Are you serious?
A: Yes, that is exactly what you do.
Q: That seems to easy, there must be something else I am missing. What are you not telling me?
A: It is that easy, the Lifesaving Society Saskatchewan Branch and the Ministry of Education worked very hard to make sure it was just that easy. We did all of the heavy lifting once so that it would really easy for everyone else. Now head over to the Upcoming Courses page and sign up for your National Lifeguard.
Upon Receiving Your Certification
1. Take your National Lifeguard certification to your school administrator.
2. Have your school administrator register you for:
SDS Course Name: Lifeguard 30L
SDS Course Code: 9513
3. Ensure your school administrator enters Standing Grade (SG) for the overall mark on the transcript.